Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Wandering Back

“Memories, even your most precious ones, fade surprisingly quickly. But I don’t go along with that. The memories I value most, I don’t ever see them fading.” 
- Kazuo Ishiguro, Never Let Me Go




There is only so much your memory can hold on to before the images become a vague fog. Life is always occurring, even when you are not. Memories get pushed back, as your life keeps moving forward. Yet, it’s the memories that you wish to remember forever that seem to always have a place in the front of the line.
This spot, this image, this trip, will always be one of the first images in the front of the line. It is the last place all of us traveled together as a family of five. How each of us will remember it varies, due to age, and experiences. I was lucky enough to be 18 and realize the importance of this trip. My sister on the other hand was only 6. Yes, she knew he was sick, but at that age who can really understand the importance of “one last time.”
Every image and every memory is as unclear as the view of the Golden Gate Bridge throughout an early morning in San Francisco. Funny, because that is the exact place where my mind wanders back to any time I think of the last time where we were us, a family of five. 

2 comments:

  1. My layout is very simple. I chose the colors grey, white, and black because of the simplicity of the image I am presenting. Yet there is still a vague “grey area” of writing. The greyness is in reference to a person’s memory not always being Black and White. My memory is very plain and simple, “black and white,” because it is how I chose to remember the events of my last trip with my father before he passed. The greyness also refers to how the images of our last trip might look in the eyes of my sister, who at the time was too young to understand the importance. The quote I chose is only a summary of my thoughts in my blog. The link I posted is the song that resonates most with me when I am thinking about my dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed how “Wandering Back” set the tone of the blog with a quote that was relevant to your story. It kind of sets the precedent for the whole thing. When I saw the link to “When I Look At You” by Miley Cyrus, it really gave me an emotional sense of the blog even before I read it. The song has been a favorite of mine for quite some time and I see the importance of the words, the melody, everything that relates to your story. The whole black and white feel of the blog seems to represent memories as a whole. Almost as if a memory turns black and white once it’s over. The black and white background and the picture above your text tie perfectly in with your opening sentence, “there is only so much your memory can hold onto before the images become a vague fog.” The pictures and this first sentence really set the tone for the scene and I actually feel like I’m there. Your typography is really straightforward, and I’m pretty sure this is because you didn’t want the reader to be distracted by clever little twists in the text; you just wanted your story to be heard. I mostly enjoyed that quality of it because I can tell this story hits home for you. Maybe letting a couple sentences stray away from the paragraphs would bring more drama to your text. For instance, in your last sentence, “a family of five” could have stood alone. It’s the most impactful line of the entire text, so placing it a line under everything else, bolded and bigger, would leave the reader with a little more emotion toward your story. Overall I like the black and white feel of the entire blog. It kind of makes you feel like a cloud of fog is over you while you’re looking at it, and I enjoyed the pathos appeal of it all.

    ReplyDelete